Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services provides a complete server-based platform that is designed to support a wide variety of reporting needs, including managed enterprise reporting, ad-hoc reporting, embedded reporting, and Web-based reporting, to enable organizations to deliver relevant information where needed across the entire enterprise. Reporting Services 2008 provides the tools and features necessary to author a variety of richly formatted reports from a wide range of data sources, and provides a comprehensive set of familiar tools used to manage and secure an enterprise reporting solution. Reports are processed and delivered quickly and effectively, enabling users to either receive reports automatically through subscriptions, to access reports from a central report repository on an ad-hoc basis, or to consume reports in the context of their business processes through reports directly embedded into their business or Web applications.
The following is the guideline to setup your first Reporting Service 2008:
1. Open your Reporting Service Configuration Manager.
2. Please try to connect to your existing SQL 2008 Database
3. Under the “Service Account”, please kindly use one of your FTP user as the username
4. Under the “Web Service URL”, please specify one virtual directory. It can be “RS” or “reports” or anything that is easily recognized. Please click on “advanced” and please specify your URL. Click “add” and your URL will be added as the “Web Service URL” and now it has the details of www.yourDomain.com/VirtualDirectoryName5. Please create the Database for the Reporting Service
6. Under the “Report Manager URL”, please specify one virtual directory. It can be “RM” or “reportManager” or anything that is easily recognized. Please click on “advanced” and please specify your URL. Click “add” and your URL will be added as the “Web Service URL” and now it has the details of www.yourDomain.com/VirtualDirectoryName
7. That’s it. Now, you need to go to the Report Manager URL as an “Administrator” and please add one “FTP user” and grant it with PUBLISHER and VIEWER role.
8. Done. Your SSRS 2008 is fully setup.
If you need Reporting Service 2008 hosting, you can always start from as low as $4.99/month with ASPHostPortal.com.